Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Eucharist

Today marks the 35th anniversary of the Diocese of Arlington, of which my wife and I have been participants since October 1976. In honor of this significant event, she and I were at Saint Thomas More Cathedral last evening to pray solemn vespers as a faith community and socialize at the reception. We will return this evening for Mass with Bishop Loverde and another faith social event. This causes me to think about the centrality of Eucharist in my life, a dimension for which I once expressed poetically. The title for the poem is simply "The Eucharist" and was published in my workbook, "Eucharistic Spirituality: Poems, Prayers, Parables".

The Eucharist in the Monstance
we worship and adore.
We leave from Adoration
a little better than before.

The Eucharist in the Tabernacle
helps in an emergency.
Communion to the sick and dying
opens doors to Eternity.

The Eucharist on the Altar
Hoc est enim Corpus Meum.
Sacred food for the Faithful
celebrating with Te Deum.

The Eucharist I have eaten
is a mystery of Love come true.
May the Jesus who is in me
recognize the Jesus living in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment